Followers

Amazon ad

Amazon BACK

Search This Blog

Category

Arts (11) Arts- Drawing/Painting (7) ARTS- Poetry (3) Arts- Proverbs (2) Crime (33) Crimea (1) Culture (11) Entertainment (45) Entwrtainment (1) jok (1) Jokes (104) Motivational (3) My lifestyle (7) New (1) Newa (1) News (154) Romance (18) Royalty (22) Sport (11) Tradition (16)

06 July 2020

My Favourite Food- Pounded Yam & Efo Riro

My Favourite Food

When it comes to food, I do not joke with my stomach and I really love my Nigerian cuisine. My favorite food has to be pounded yam and efo riro (Nigerian Spinach Stew)

What is Efo Riro

Efo Riro is a Yoruba word and it loosely means ‘stirred spinach’. In Nigeria, the vegetables used for Efo Riro are ‘Efo Shoko’ (Lagos spinach) or ‘Efo Tete’ (African spinach).

These are the local spinach varieties that are very popular and easily available. In other parts of the world, any spinach greens will do.

Efo Riro is traditionally made with palm oil, spinach, peppers, ground crayfish, and meat. They are often cooked with two or more different meat varieties.


It is best when the stew is 'loaded'- when it has different types of assorted meats like bokoto (cow foot), ponmo (cow hide) roundabout (intestine), shaki (tripe), snail, crayfish, crabs etc. My mouth is now watering like a broken tap.


There is also Efo elegusi which I also love usually made with ugu (pumpkin leaves) or spinach or bitter leaf



Me at a buka eating pounded yam with efo riro and assorted meat😀


Pounded Yam

This is made by cooking yam in a pot with water for a about 15 minutes till they are soft for pounding . It is then picked with a fork and transfer into a mortar then go ahead and pound with a pestle, pound until the yam is seedless and can easily be moulded, you can add water and pound until you have a smooth soft pounded yam.
Me at another buka eating pounded yam and efo elegusi. Notice how happy I look😤
Buka

I usually love to visit bukas to eat my pounded yam. The word buka originated from the Northern part of Nigeria and it means "hole in the wall" restaurant and it is used interchangeably with 'Mama put joints". They usually serve a variety of delicious local dishes and bukas are a cheaper alternatives to eateries or fast food restaurants. You can usually get a satisfying meal with N500 ($1.29). There is such a high demand that the food is always prepared the same day, served piping hot and all consumed the same day with some bukas often running out of some delicacies by lunch time.

Palm wine or Stout

I usually love to wash down my pounded yam with fresh palm wine or Nigerian Guinness Stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Sagamu Prepares For Ewusi Of Makun Oba Oyesola Akinsanya 80th Birthday Celebrations

The Governor of Ogun State, Dapo Abiodun as well as first-class traditional rulers led by Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Awujale of Ijeb...